Bibliophile|When She Woke by Hillary Jordan



**Spoiler Alert**

I was super interested in reading this book because the concept was very intriguing.
The protagonist wakes up red after having an abortion. In the narrator's dystopic reality, abortion is illegal. While reading further, we find out that the red girl comes from a deeply religious family. In fact, the entire story is steeped with heavy religious references, passages and words.

I liked the style of writing Jordan demonstrates in this work. She unfolds each character like a napkin and reveals things about their personality/life in a way that is almost poetic. I thought her re-imagining of the Scarlet Letter was brilliant. The book makes you question your concept of right/wrong, freedom and how far you would go to protect the one you love.

My overall rating:

Four lipsticks. I think this is a great read for anyone who is Christian because it allows you to see how extreme faith can be. I also recommend this book for anyone who is comfortable with their spirituality. This book made me uncomfortable at time which I think good fiction should but if you are not open-minded, you will not like this novel at all.

Other reviews here.
Buy the book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment