#BanditBooks - "Sugar Daddy" by Lisa Kleypas

I have to admit, I wanted this book to be all fluff and no bite. The title alone made me think that this would be the perfect book to breeze through and help me forget all my troubles...and it did, until certain parts came along. The title is a little misleading although I understand why its named this. The main character, Liberty Jones (isn't that such a great name?) spends her life avoiding having a sugar daddy. She's half-Mexican living with her white mother in a trailer park in Welcome, Texas. She has a hard upbringing and fights to give herself and her family a better life.

I loved the way the book was written. I'm usually not a fan of first person pov. However, used in the way Kleypas did, I felt like I was reading the diary of a close friend - a little forbidden, very juicy and I was instantly endeared by her.

There's a very sudden and traumatic incident in the book (no spoilers) where I wanted to scoop Liberty up in my arms and hold her. The emotions in the writing was so real, it stirred something up inside of me, which is what good writing is supposed to achieve. This is the first installment about the Travis family and I can definitely see myself snapping up a few more of these books in the future.

If you're looking for something a little light-hearted and easy to read but has a cohesive plot, this book is for you.

I give this book 5 lipsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment